Newsletter term 3: November 2019
Greetings to our parents and guardians!
- Wednesday 4 December : Christmas party for both pre-school and primary.
- Thursday 5 December : Open Day. Please come in person to talk to your child’s teacher. (Pupils not in school).
- Friday 6 December : Teachers’ Day (Pupils not in school.)
- Monday 13 January : Teachers’ Day (Pupils not in school.)
- Tuesday 14 January : Term begins for all pupils
Starting our new primary school timetable
We shall start our new curriculum / timetable fully on 14 January. The timetable (which you can see here) places a large emphasis on English (including lots of reading) and mathematics as these two subjects are the foundations for the rest of the curriculum.
I can tell you as a retired secondary Headteacher that learning and progress in secondary school are almost impossible for children who have not built firm foundations in English and mathematics while in primary school. The curriculum also provides sufficient time for teaching of the Zambian curriculum.
We made sure of that by asking our expert Zambian teachers to help us design the curriculum. We have ensured that the important ‘enrichment’ subjects are not ignored.
Through our after-school clubs we shall deliver Music, PE, French and Further Reading. Finally, at set times in the academic year, we shall collapse the timetable and deliver what we call Super Learning Days. On these days we shall devote all the learning time to one aspect of the curriculum such as RE, Art or Science.
How to help your child meeting
We shall run another one of these meetings in January. We hope you find them helpful. More details to follow.
A big thanks to those parents who have paid their children’s fees in full. If you have not yet done so, please make payment before the end of term (6 December).
Just a few of the things going on in our busy school… Our Grade 6 and 7 classrooms should be completed soon (even though we will not use them for a while).
- In the new academic year we shall finish off our playgrounds (in both schools) as well as the playing fields at the side of our primary.
- Our solar panels have now been installed. Our lights are on!
- Our Interactive White Boards have been purchased in the UK and are now on their way to Dayspring!
I hope you have had a chance to read about our recent primary trip to Ndola Airport and Levy Mwanawasa Stadium here. It was fantastic! Our children loved it. Unfortunately our pre-school trip was less enjoyable. The train to Ndola broke down and our children spent 6 hours on the outward journey. From now on our children shall be content to read about trains. Never again will they travel on one.
From all at Dayspring Academy we wish you and your families a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. May the new year bring you every blessing in Christ Jesus.